Author Topic: Nazareth Top Ten  (Read 1851 times)

Godless Fur Trapper

• View Profile
Nazareth Top Ten
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
Nazareth was a staple of my heavy metal youth.  I first heard "Hair Of The Dog" on the radio and nearly lost my teenage mind.  Holy fuck, I recall thinking, upon hearing this cowbell-fueled stomper with son of a bitch in the actual chorus....is that allowed on 70's radio, what will happen to the children who hear this.....well, they turned into people like us.

In no particular order other than number one:

Kentucky Fried Blues.
Sweet, sugary, Jesus can you make a riff any chunkier than this one?  It sounds like Manny Charlton is cutting into a slab of lime stone with a sharpened dinosaur dick.  I swear to god, his guitar is wheezing by the end of the song, exhausted.  Dirty Dan Mcafferty sounds like a truck driver cruising the night time parking lots of a Wyoming truck stop looking to score speed or kill hookers, or both.  A perfect song.  (To be honest, "Expect No Mercy" is the high water mark for this band.  The entire album is flat out masterful.  It barely edges out Hair Of The Dog as the pound for pound king in the catalog.)

Beggars Day

Miss Misery

Expect No Mercy

Gone Dead Train

Telegram……

Changing Times

Morning Dew

Holiday

This Flight Tonight

sabbatology

• Praise Geezer !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nazareth Top Ten
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
Crazy (A Suitable Case for Treatment) ... definitely one of the favs around here.

Godless Fur Trapper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
That's the one from the Heavy Metal soundtrack, which has its moments.  I'm sorry Ned, but that is not a top ten track though.  If you can, just agree with me on every point.  Thanks.

sabbatology

• Praise Geezer !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Please reconsider, the track takes me back to an old girlfriend, a horse and a tire.

Supernaut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
Well Mr.Trapper this was a bit harder to  narrow down to 10 tunes,they have so many great ones. Nazareth was a big part of the soundtrack to my youth also, like you I first heard Hair of the dog blaring out of my state of the art AM radio and was hooked, but thanks to well intentioned but misguided parents the first album I owned by them was Rampant and IMO a true classic that still gets regular spins here at the Supernaut compound. with that said I'm sorry buddy....... though I can't come up with any counterpoints to KFB, a guitar riff that should be a standard for any young guitar player to learn, my all time fave Naz burner is........ 

Silver Dollar Forger

yes this is the tale of Dirty Dan all hepped up on speed balls running from the law with a trunk full of "funny money" in his muscle car and just a  brilliant riff from Manny.

Glad When your Gone

another blues soaked tale from Rampant ......oooohh ya bitch.... get out of here you knocked my guitar out of tune

Kentucky Fried Blues

ya.. what he said

New York Broken Toy

an overlooked rocker from the Naz boys

Born Under the Wrong Sign

a true '70s rocker that oozes  a bit of blues with just a touch of funk

Down Home Girl

a forgotten classic from the Playin the Game album........ "underneath all that mess  your the same ole Bessie Lou"

Changin' times

one of the great forgotten riffs of the '70s

Razamanaz

like a skill saw cutting through butter,  this song makes me want to get drunk and fight

Claim to Fame

the Rhythm section of this song reminds me of what it would sound like when Dan was pounding on your face cause you messed with his woman

Somebody to Roll

another forgotten classic from the playin the game album, Those little slide guitar licks... Manny got his guitar screaming........ 

I must give honorable mention to  "God Save the South" from the 1998 album called Boogaloo, if a Naz fan I recommend it, nothing spectacular but solid album through and through with this track the stand out. 

Supernaut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

MY theory strengthens

http://youtu.be/j_Q2c9mmpRA

Supernaut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »

sabbatology

• Praise Geezer !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »
Recent show up on The Traders Den.  Looks like a healthy set list...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104732

Nazareth
B.B. King Blues Club & Grill
NYC , New York
June 25 , 2013

Setlist : 100:27.65
01. Intro
02. Telegram
03. Holiday
04. Beggars Day
05. Sunshine
06. My White Bicycle