Author Topic: Sabba-roon  (Read 2098 times)

Supernaut

• View Profile
Sabba-roon
« on: June 08, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
So I know everyone wants to say it... but you're just to afraid of what your friends might say, yes it's true the new Sabbath album is really freakin good. I think it's safe to say that everyone here has breathed in and digested every single note of Sabbath, well at the very least the first 6 albums, and knows every cymbal crash,pick scrape and bass note set to tape. When listening to this album it's hard not to make the comparisons to past riffs... "oh that riff sounds like, or the vocal line sounds like... etc,etc," I have a dozen or listens on this album now and it just gets better and better after every listen. It even passed the getting all 420'd up, kickin back in the lazy boy with the headphones on full blast test. I'm in no way saying that this album belongs along side the Holy 6, but it does a great job of trying to get there. I'll have to give it up for Rick Rubin who manged to get the Boys to create a real live sounding old school Sabbath sounding record.  It is so refreshing to hear Iommi shred again, at times he just goes off and the playing comes across as off the cuff, and not so calculated as he's been in the past.

There other thing about this album is Brad Wilk did an outstanding job of drumming on this and it's awesome to hear Iommi/Butler play with a drummer who has swing and groove. Sure it would've been nice to have Ward behind the kit, but when announced it was Wilk, I thought weird choice, but the guy has always been solid from his RATM and Audioslave output, and secondly it was NOT Vinnie "the ham fisted plain vanilla plodder" Appice, who in my opinion sucked a lot of life out of the great Heaven & Hell album Devil you know. { as an aside I recently saw an Iommi interview were he mentions they tried to bring Ward in on that project and ran into the same problems  as present}

Over all stand out tracks are Zeigeist - what a great mello atmospheric tune and a very pleasant surprise, Damaged Souls - this track is just a fuckin monster and Iommi lights up the fret board , this tune I can imagine them just jammin live in the studio and all Rubin had to do was hit the record button, Pariah -  this tune has a such a great arrangement , it grooves, great solo section from Iommi, and Live forever - that takes that 50Lb sledge hammer and wacks you upside the head. The other thing is Geezer's lyrics haven't lost a step, too bad Dio couldn't have swallowed some pride at times and used some Geezer lyrics instead of some of his cheesy themed ramblings,  in closing I guess I could've made this a lot shorter by just sayin'......  me rikey!!!!       

artcinco

• Global Moderator
  • #word
    • View Profile
Sabba-roon
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
Guess I will need to pick it up. Is the consensus that the Best Buy edition has the most tracks?

#iThing #word

Link

• View Profile
Re: Sabba-roon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
Yes, Best Buy has the most tracks.

artcinco

• Global Moderator
  • #word
    • View Profile
Sabba-roon
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
Thanks.

#iThing #word

sabbatology

• Praise Geezer !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Anyone get the DVD?

TAP

• Administrator
  • #arrmo4.0
    • View Profile
    • New ARRMO website
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
How is Naivete in Black?

TAP

• Administrator
  • #arrmo4.0
    • View Profile
    • New ARRMO website
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »

HK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
That's a solid blah

sabbatology

• Praise Geezer !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
Its comforting to finally get some negativity in here!

Supernaut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:38:14 AM »
This tune reminds me of Time Machine with Ozzy singing. If this is what they choose for the exclusive Best Buy track I'm wondering what the other 4 songs they have no plans for sound like.... then again maybe not.... it might break the wonderful Sabbath like daze I've been in for the first time since Mob Rules was released.